I heard bread prepared with homemade black tea starter is delicious, so I wanted to try making some. Use loose leaf tea.
Mix up the contents of the container once a day, open the lid and let some air in.
I slosh it around with the lid on to mix it.
When it starts fermenting, you ll hear a popping sound. Recipe by Hirochan
- 1 A container that can be hermetically sealed (sterilize in boiling water)
- 20 grams Tea leaves (Earl Grey etc )
- 400 grams Water (filtered water preferred)
- 20 grams Sugar
- 15 grams Starter liquid (it will hasten the fermentation)
- 5 grams Added sugar (if the fermentation is slow )
- Put the tea leaves water sugar and starter liquid in a sterilized container and mix lightly You dont have to have starter liquid but it will take time until it ferments without it
- Put the container in a warm place such as a sunny window sill and wait until it ferments
- Mix up the contents of the container once a day and open the lid to let in air When it starts fermenting it will making a popping sound
- It depends on the temperature but the liquid will start foaming up in 2 to 4 days If it doesnt start fermenting after 4 days add the extra sugar
- When the starter is done strain the liquid and keep in the refrigerator