I revised a version of brine often used in American households to suit Japanese households. The preparation in making the salt water is the same as that used in Belarus for removing radiation (water-soluble particles are removed by salt osmosis). You don t have to be very exacting with the amount of water; as long as there is enough to cover the chicken when placed in the plastic bag.
Adjust the amount of salt to taste. I use nearly equal amounts of salt and sugar. For best results, keep them as equal as possible. For serving 4-5. Recipe by pogue
- 600 grams Chicken (your choice of cut such as wings or breast with bone)
- For the brine:
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Raw cane sugar
- 1 clove Garlic (grated)
- 1 leaf Bay leaf (optional)
- 1 Black pepper
- For the crispy skin (adjust according to the amount of chicken):
- 4 tbsp or more ★Plain flour
- 4 tbsp or more ★ Cornstarch (or katakuriko)
- 1 very small amount ★Baking powder (preferably aluminium-free)
- 1/2 tsp ★Allspice
- 2 tbsp Carbonated water or beer (if you don #39 have any add a small amount of vinegar to water)
- Combine the brine ingredients and the meat in a plastic bag and lightly massage from the outside of the bag until the salt and sugar are absorbed (double-bagging reduces the chance of tearing the bag)
- Once the meat has absorbed the juices open the bag press out the air seal the bag and set in the refrigerator overnight By the following day the meat should completely absorb the water and become heavy
- Bake or fry the meat for a juicy finish! You can also make delicious and juicy chicken sauté or hamburger
- To prepare the coating combine the meat chopped into chunks and the coating ingredients in a new bag and massage very well from the outside of the bag until the coating has covered the meat
- Generously coating the meat will produce a result close to the signature KFC flavor Since the recipe uses carbonated water youll only need a pinch of baking powder!
- Change Fry well in oil over medium heat Increase the heat once the frying sound quiets down and the bubbles reduce in size Once the coating becomes crunchy its ready to serve!
- Change Make together with faux KFC biscuits!You cant beat the combo of freshly baked biscuits and chicken!
- Change Also check out my recipe for delicious french friesTheyll change your entire outlook on french fries!